Millions of packs of McVitie’s Digestives, whose name is said to have come from the baking soda in the biscuits, are sold all over the world every year. After its creation in 1892 by Sir Alexander Grant, McVitie’s Digestives, now sold in over 100 countries, including the Philippines, became well-loved for their whole-wheat taste.
Today, 120 years after, McVitie’s Digestives are not just a snack but is now a popular and awesome ingredient for baked goodies like cheesecakes and even tiramisu. Cheesecake is a true favorite among many, and with a cheesecake base made with McVitie’s Digestives, it will definitely be tastier, thicker and has more texture.
Here’s a popular cheesecake recipe using McVitie’s Digestives:
For the base
• McVitie’s Digestive 2/3 of 400 g pack
• Unsalted butter 1/3 pack (75 g)
For the filling
• Cream cheese 4 packs (800 g)
• Fresh cream 1 liter
• Egg yolks 2
• Icing sugar 2 cups (200 g)
• Vanilla, 1 sachet (5 g)
• Grated lemon peel (from 1 lemon)
For the topping
• Blackcurrant jam 3 1/2 cups (350 g)
• For Chocolate Cheesecake, blend 100 g of cocoa powder into the cheese filling
1. Crush the biscuits in a blender. Melt the butter and mix with the biscuit crumbs
2. Press the butter and biscuit mixture into the base of a baking tin or dish
3. Beat the cream cheese until soft
4. Add the egg yolks, vanilla and grated lemon peel
5. Gradually add the fresh cream and continue beating until fluffy
6. Pour the mixture on top of the biscuit base & refrigerate for about 2 hours until it sets
7. Top with blackcurrant jam
8. Serve cold
This delectable recipe is really meant for the taking, holiday season or not, for the whole family to enjoy. So go ahead and try it out in your own kitchen. Your family will surely love you even more.
If you have your own McVitie’s cheesecake experience, we hope you could share them with other McVitie’s lovers out there. Just go to the McVitie’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/McVitiesDigestives or visit www.mcvities.com.